It’s so great to finally have Italian basil growing in the backyard. I like the Thai basil that is available at the market, but sometimes you just need Italian basil. Thanks to Meghan for sending the seeds! I know this is not the most authentic pesto, but you can’t expect to find lots of authentic Italian ingredients in Southeast Asia! I’m happy to have olive oil. Pinenuts or walnuts are a great addition to pesto, so use them if you have them.
- 3 C fresh basil leaves (lightly packed)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/3 C olive oil
- 1 t salt
- 2/3 C cheddar (gasp! Parmasan is better of course, but I don’t have any.)
- Chop the garlic cloves in a food processor. I do this step first because if I add the garlic later, it doesn’t get chopped small enough.
- Add basil and olive oil, blend until smooth.
- Add salt and cheese. Blend some more.
makes 1 C pesto