Our British friends invited us to “high tea” and asked us to bring something appropriate for a tea, so I made these. I tried a recipe I found here, but the texture of the dough wasn’t right. I altered the recipe and made another batch before the tea. I love how apple and chedder taste together. I’ll definitely make these scones again.
2 1/2 C flour
2 T sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/4 t baking soda
5 T butter, diced
3/4 C buttermilk
1 C shredded cheddar cheese
1 C apples, peeled and diced (I used Gala, but I think Granny Smith would be even better)
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Cut in the butter until the dough forms crumbs. I often do this with my hands, but using a pastry cutter is the proper way 🙂
- Stir in the buttermilk.
- Fold in cheese and apples. Kneed a few times.
- Pat into a 9 inch circle on a greased pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes in a 400 F oven (my oven is weird, check the time and temp yourself please).
- Done when the scones are lightly browned on the top.
- Slice into 8 wedges for large scones.
makes 8 scones