I know I’ve said it before, but pressure cookers are awesome. It blends the flavors together like a crock pot does, except a pressure cooker does it a lot faster. This chili was delicious. It really had that rich spicy taste that chili needs and it didn’t taste like a wimpy vegetarian version (some veggie chilies just taste like vegetable soup!)
1 C kidney beans (soaked overnight)
1 C black beans (soaked overnight)
1 T oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, sliced
4 roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
6 oz. can of tomato paste
3 t salt
1 1/2 t black pepper
1 T cumin
1 T oregano
1 bay leaf
1 whole chili (such as thai bird chili or jalepeno)
4 C water
1 C corn, uncooked, cut off the cob
- In an open pressure cooker, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until soft.
- Add everything else (except the corn) to the pressure cooker. Pressure cook for 20 minutes.
- After the pressure has stopped, remove the lid. Take out the bay leaf and chili pepper.
- Add corn and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with shredded cheese and cornbread.