These refried beans were delicious. Try them in a burrito by serving on tortillas and topping with guacamole, shredded cheese, and cilantro. James and I were so happy to eat this meal! It makes good leftovers too.
3 C pinto beans
5 C water
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 T cumin seeds
1 whole hot pepper (dried or fresh)
3 T oil
1 onion, chopped
3 t salt
1/4 C cumin, ground
1 t black pepper
- Soak beans at least 6 hours, drain.
- Combine the first 6 ingredients in a pressure cooker and cook for 10 minutes.
- After the pressure is released from the pressure cooker, remove the lid and take out 1 cup of liquid – discard. Also discard whole hot pepper.
- Smash the beans in the pressure cooker with a potato masher (or with a Nalgene like we did).
- Saute the chopped onion in the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the beans and the rest of the ingredients to the onion. Cook until the beans reach the desired thickness.