Passion fruit is one of James’ top 3 favorite fruits, so he was very excited to find it growing at our friend’s house. Then we found more of them at the main market in town. We bought 5 kilos and made a delicious juice that James remembers from his childhood in the Dominican Republic. This is more of a technique than a recipe because the hard part about making passion fruit juice is getting the pulp off the seeds. The proportions of water and sugar can be altered to your liking.
2 C passion fruit pulp, scooped out from the shells (about 40 fruits)
6 C water
1/2 C sugar
- Scoop 2 C of pulp (about 40 fruits) into a blender.
- Add 2 C of water and blend on the slowest setting possible for 2 second intervals, for a total of about 10 seconds. This should get the pulp loose from the seeds.
- Pour through a strainer into a bowl.
- Pour another cup of water through the strainer to get remaining juice out of the seeds.
- Remove strainer. Stir in sugar and remaining 3 C of water.
- Chill or serve over ice.
makes about 2 liters