James used to make something like this with his Lao roommates. It’s another easy and yummy way to use leftover rice, like arroz con leche and nasi goreng. To make this more Lao, chop a couple of small fresh chilies and cover them with fish sauce in a small bowl before you start cooking. Use the sauce to add extra spiciness to your rice as you eat.
3 C rice, already cooked
2 T oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 T soy sauce
1 1/2 t fish sauce
1 C tomatoes, chopped
1/4 C cilantro, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 t cayenne pepper
- Break the eggs into a small bowl and stir up with a fork.
- Saute the garlic in the oil.
- Scramble the eggs with the garlic and break into small pieces.
- Add rice, soy sauce, fish sauce, tomatoes, and cayenne pepper.
- Cook until the rice is warm and the tomatoes have wilted a little.
- Add the cilantro and green onion.