James thinks this is one of our most authentic curries because of the yogurt. The thicker the yogurt, the better.
1 t cumin seeds
3 T oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped or ground
1 T yellow curry powder
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1 t corriander
1 t tumeric
1 t salt
3 C potatoes, diced
1 1/4 – 2 C water
2 C tomatoes, chopped
1/2 C plain yogurt
- Toast the cumin seeds by cooking them dry in a frying pan for about a minute, stirring constantly. Set aside.
- Saute the onion and garlic in the oil
- Add curry powder, cayenne, coriander, cumin, turmeric, and salt to the onions.
- Stir in diced potatoes and 1 C of water. As the potatoes cook, keep adding water by the 1/4 C in order to keep the potatoes nearly covered by water.
- add tomatoes
- Keep simmering until the potatoes are fully cooked, about 30 minutes.
- Before serving, stir in the plain yogurt.
- Serve over rice.